Nintendo’s most iconic franchises and characters in the world of gaming are often those associated with the world of Super Mario. Luigi was created by Shigeru Miyamoto, was he’s portrayed as being the younger fraternal twin brother of his more famous brother Mario. Here are some fun facts about Luigi!
- Luigi starred in a game long before Luigi’s Mansion. (source) Many gamers might think that Luigi’s Mansion was the first game that Luigi had the lead role in, but that’s not the case. In 1992, Mario Is Missing! released for both PC and SNES, and was an educational game based on geography. It wouldn’t be until 2001 when Luigi would be the main character of a game that was actually good, when Luigi’s Mansion launched with the Nintendo GameCube.
- Luigi was first playable in a 1983 arcade game. (source) While the 1985 hit Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System was a more memorable and influential video game, it was actually in 1983’s Mario Bros. where Luigi was playable for the first time. The game would later be ported to the NES.
- Luigi was actually Dracula’s plumber. (source) In Castlevania: Lords of Shadow — Mirror of Fate, there’s a scroll left behind by Luigi, who was at the castle to check out Dracula’s pipes. In the scroll, Luigi says that not all of the mushrooms in the pipes look good to eat, but that he’s curious about what would happen if he ate one. To this day, no one knows how eventful Luigi’s night ended up being in Dracula’s castle.
- He was originally set to be in Super Mario 64. (source) In a 2009 interview, the creator of the Super Mario Bros. franchise, Shigeru Miyamoto, confirmed that Super Mario 64 was originally going to include multiplayer. It wasn’t until 2020 when Gigaleak happened that gamers were finally able to see the source code of the game, and were able to see several files pertaining to Luigi.
- Luigi’s voice actor had Capgras delusion. (source) Tony Rosato was the voice actor who provided Luigi’s voice for the 1990 cartoon The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. It was later found out that Rosato unfortunately suffered from Capgras delusion, which is a psychiatric disorder that causes victims to truly believe that people closest to them actually been replaced by body doubles.
5 Facts About Luigi
Do you have any fun Luigi facts to share or any other video game characters? Let us know in the comments below.