The Houston Texans began play in the National Football League for the 2002 NFL season, and to date are still the newest franchise in the league. All-time, the Texans are 135-169-0, and are 4-6 in the playoffs. Here are some fun Houston Texans facts.
6 Houston Texans Facts
- The franchise’s first ever non-expansion draft selection was Fresno State QB David Carr back in 2002. (source) With the first overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft, the league’s newest franchise selected Quarterback David Carr from Fresno State. When it was all said and done, Carr was labeled as a draft bust, having spent just five seasons with the team. During Carr’s tenure with the Texans, Houston went 24-66.
- The first touchdown in Texans history was scored by TE Billy Miller. (source) The first touchdown in the history of the franchise game in their very first regular season game, where they defeated the in-state rival Dallas Cowboys 19-10 at Reliant Stadium. Quarterback David Carr threw a touchdown pass to Tight End Billy Miller, who was with the team from 2002 through 2004 before moving onto the Cleveland Browns.
- When the Texans first came into the league, it wasn’t the first time that a franchise used that team nickname. (source) From 1960 through 1962, the Dallas Texans were one of the league’s franchises, before they moved in 1963 to become the Kansas City Chiefs.
- The Texans are one of just four teams to never make the Super Bowl. (source) They may still be the league’s newest franchise, but the Houston Texans are one of four franchises that have never reached the Super Bowl. The other three teams include the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions.
- JJ Watt holds three franchise records for the Houston Texans. (source) Arguably the most popular player in the franchise’s short history, along with Andre Johnson, JJ Watt is the current franchise leader in terms of quarterback sacks (101), tackles for loss (172) and quarterback hits (281).
- The Houston Texans are the only NFL franchise to never appear in a Conference Championship Game. (source) Over the course of their 20 seasons in the NFL, the Houston Texans have made the playoffs in six different seasons. However, the team has never made it past the Divisional Round of the Playoffs, with their most recent loss occurring in 2019.
Do you have more fun facts about the Houston Texans to share? Share them with us below!