If you’re a cat person, you know why these furry friends are so special. Their quirky personalities and adorable looks make them one of the most popular household pets around the world. They were even once worshiped and considered sacred in ancient Egypt! The more facts about cats you learn, the more you’ll realize how unique they really are. Read on for some interesting cat facts that will make you appreciate your kitty even more.
5 Great Facts About Cats:
- House cats are 95% tiger. (source) Researchers have found that the average domestic house cat shares about 95.6% of its DNA with tigers. Cats diverged from tigers on the evolutionary tree more than 10 million years ago.
- Cats can run up to 30 miles per hour. (source) Domestic cats can run short sprints of up to 30 MPH. Cheetahs, the world’s fastest land animal and cousin of the house cat, can run up to 65 MPH for about 20 seconds.
- Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping. (source) Does it seem like your kitty is always napping? You’re not imagining it. The average cat spends about 50-70% of their day sleeping.
- A cat has been to space. (source) A cat named Félicette made it to outer space in 1963. Nicknamed Astrocat, this fearless feline received a much-deserved memorial in 2019.
- Cats can be right-handed, left-handed, or ambidextrous. (source) Their dominant paws are largely dependent on their sex. Male cats tend use their left paws more and female cats mostly use their right paws.